Skip navigation
The Australian National University

About ANU

Timeline of ANU History

The following timeline highlights some of the important moments in the history of The Australian National University. It has been compiled from several sources, including 'The Making of The Australian National University' by S.G. Foster and Margaret M Varghese.

1930 Canberra University College, which later amalgamated with The Australian National University, enrolled its first students. Canberra University College was established with a loose association with the University of Melbourne.
1944 From late 1944 to 1945, discussions between intellectuals and administrators, including H C 'Nugget' Coombs, Alfred Conlon, and Roy Douglas 'Pansy' Wright set the scene for the establishment of a National University.
1946 In April of 1946, H C Coombs meets with prominent academics in England, some of them Australian ex-patriots, including the medical scientist Sir Howard Florey, the historian W K Hancock and the physicist Mark Oliphant on the proposed Australian National University.
1946 On the 1 August 1946, the Bill establishing The Australian National University is passed by Federal Parliament.

In September of 1946, the first meeting of the Interim Council of the University took place in the Senate Committee Room in Parliament House.

1947 In late 1947, Brian Lewis, Professor of Architecture at the University of Melbourne was appointed Consulting Architect to design the University's major buildings.
1948 In March of 1948, Sir Douglas Copland was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.
1948 In Easter of 1948, significant meetings occur between the Interim Council and the Academic Advisory Committee, consisting of Florey, Hancock, Oliphant and the anthropologist Raymond Firth on the shape the national university was to take. The meetings took place in the Institute of Anatomy Building, which now houses ScreenSound Australia, the National Screen and Sound Archive.
1948 The University's first librarian, A L G McDonald, was appointed to begin gathering together the University Library's collections.
1949 24 October 1949 - Foundation stones for the John Curtin School of Medical Research, the Research School of Physical Sciences and University House laid by Ben Chifley, Prime Minister and John Dedman, Minister for Post-War Reconstruction.
1950 The first academic staff members arrive to take up their appointments at ANU. At this time, there were few buildings to house them.

12th of July 1951- First meeting of the ANU Council, which succeeded the Interim Council appointed in 1946.


From July to September of 1975, a series of seminars on science, Commonwealth-State relations and federalism held to mark 50 years of Federation.

1951 On the 7th of December 1951, the ANU confers its first degree of an Honorary Doctor of Laws on Sir Robert Garran, one of the authors of the Australian Constitution and a long-time advocate of university education in Canberra.
1952 The laboratories for the Research School of Physical Sciences, the University's first permanent buildings, are opened.
1952 The University's first Chancellor, Lord Bruce, is installed.
1953 Noel Butlin, an economic historian in the Research School of Social Sciences, begins collecting Australian business records, which come to form the basis of the University's Archives of Business and Labour (now the Noel Butlin Archives Centre).
1954 In February 1954, University House is officially opened.
1955 Canberra University College celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary.
1957 Mt Stromlo Observatory formally becomes part of ANU through association with the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences.
1960 ANU amalgamates with Canberra University College. CUC becomes the School of General Studies at ANU and undergraduates become part of ANU life for the first time. In 1960 ANU still had its four central research schools, the John Curtin School of Medical Research (JCSMR), the Research School of Physical Sciences (RSPhysS), the Research School of Social Sciences (RSSS) and the Research School of Pacific Studies (RSPaS), while the School of General Studies had Faculties of Arts, Economics, Law and Science.
1961 Bruce Hall, the first residential hall for undergraduate students on campus, is occupied.
1961 The School of General Studies establishes a new faculty, the Faculty of Oriental Studies. In 1970, it became the Faculty of Asian Studies.
1961 The New Guinea Research Unit, part of the Research School of Pacific Studies, begins operations with a small group of support staff and academics located in Canberra and New Guinea. The Unit fostered interdisciplinary work on New Guinea among ANU academics.
1963 The two University Library Buildings are opened, the R G Menzies Building and the J B Chifley Building.
1964 Lake Burley Griffin is flooded, skirting the southern edge of the ANU campus.
1964 Hanna Neumann is appointed the University's first female professor, as Professor of Mathematics in the School of General Studies.
1965 The Australian Forestry School, which had been established in Canberra since 1927, accepted its first students as a department in the ANU Faculty of Science.
1967 The Research School of Chemistry (RSC) and the Research School of Biological Sciences (RSBS) are established bringing the number of research schools to six.
1968 The Computer Centre was established, intended to serve users campus wide.
1971 A decision is made to create a separate Research School of Earth Sciences (RSES) from departments in the Research School of Physical Sciences.
1972 The Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies (CRES) is established, part of a trend to establish what was sometimes referred to as a 'third dimension', namely units and centres within the University.
1973 The North Australia Research Unit (NARU) is established to facilitate research on north Australia.
1974 The Humanities Research Centre (HRC) is established as another important 'centre' in the University.
1976 After extended debate, a separate Women's Studies Program in the Faculty of Arts came into being.
1979 The School of General Studies formally renamed The Faculties.
1984 A new 2.3 metre telescope is opened at the Siding Spring Observatory, which was closely linked with the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences.
1987 The University purchases a 'Fujitsu FACOM VP50 vector processor' and establishes the ANU Supercomputer Facility to house it.
1989 The ANU Graduate School is established, intended to coordinate graduate teaching and resources across the University and to provide greater cohesion between the Institute of Advanced Studies and the Faculties.
1991 The Research School of Physical Sciences becomes the Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering (RSPSE).
1992 The Canberra Institute of the Arts, comprising the Canberra School of Music and the Canberra School of Art, amalgamates with ANU.
1993 In the Faculties, a new Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology is established.
1994 In the Institute of Advanced Studies, the Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering (RSISE) is established. The Centre for Middle Eastern and Central Asia Sudies (from 1999, the Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies) is established in the Faculty of Arts.
1996 ANU celebrates its 50th anniversary with a program of academic and social events.
1998 The University Archives is established. The Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories become the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA). The Asia Pacific School of Economics and Management (later Government) is established.
2001 In June the ANU Council announces a major restructure of University governance including the creation of Deputy Vice-Chancellors for Research and Education and the establishment of twelve virtual National Institutes
2003 The Mt Stromlo Observatory and the Weston research facilities are severely damaged by bushfires. The Medical School is accredited by the Australian Medical Council for the first intake of students in 2004. The National Institute of the Humanities and Creative Arts is established, bringing together the National Institutes of Arts and the Humanities. 
2004 The National Institute of the Arts (NITA) amalgamates with the Faculty of Arts.
2006 The formation of seven ANU Colleges, grouping together Research Schools, Faculties and Centres

Updated:  06 May 2013/Responsible Officer:  Director Marketing/Page Contact:  Webmaster